Friday, September 14, 2007

Stuffed Peppers

My grandparents made the very best stuffed peppers in the world. I tried to recreate them tonight -- we'll see tomorrow, since I've already eaten enough calories today!

In this bowl is ground beef, parsley (Italian flat leaf), mint, onion, garlic, pepper, salt, 2 eggs.
The mixture is almost slimy. I really wanted to see if I could duplicate their mixture, which was almost slippery after cooking.

Here is a close-up of it all blended. You can see it looks pretty wet. The last thing I wanted would be for the stuffing to turn out like crumbled ground beef. I wanted almost a sausage consistency inside.
Here they are stuffed. Unfortunately, all I could get were a type of bell pepper. I really wanted bigger Italian frying peppers, but the ones I got were too narrow to stuff. Bell peppers in general taste like crap, but these were smaller farmer's market ones so hopefully they don't suck. For god's sake, please do not attempt with GREEN bell peppers. Honey please!


Oooh fresh outta the oven! They took 45 @ 300. I can already tell the bell peppers are too thickly walled for what I really want in texture, but hopefully they will taste right. They smell right!!


You can see the fat/juice from the hamburg in this shot. All of that should be discarded. I used 90% lean instead of 80%, but even that is too much fat it turns out. I will probably attempt with 93-96% lean next time, I just don't want them to be dry (It's not even worth it if they are too dry).

The goal is moist, juicy, slightly slippery, and very rich tasting. After all, it's basically all beef!

No comments: